July 26, 2017
It may be summertime, but if you are like us, you never really stop thinking about winter. In just a few short months, it will be that time of year again where the snow is falling and you are thinking about getting out to ride fresh pow in the mountains! At BCA, we feel that there is no better way to spend these long summer months than brushing up on your snow and avalanche safety skills. That is why we have created the BCA ‘Backcountry Safety Summer School’, a course with three sets of quizzes – Round 1, Round 2 and Round 3 – each designed to help you sharpen your knowledge.
SUMMER SCHOOL ROUND 1 – TAKE FACEBOOK QUIZ 1 START HERE
SUMMER SCHOOL ROUND 2 – TAKE FACEBOOK QUIZ 2 START HERE
SUMMER SCHOOL ROUND 3 – TAKE FACEBOOK QUIZ 3 START HERE
Click the links above to take each round of Facebook quiz questions of Backcountry Safety Summer School. Every person who takes a BCA Backcountry Safety Summer School quiz will be entered into our BCA Summer School Contest*. Each time you take a quiz you will register a new entry for a chance to win one of these BCA Summer School Contest* prizes:
Round 1 Quiz Prize
BCA Snow Study Kits
$95.00 MSRP value
Round 2 Quiz Prize
BCA Stash 40™ Backpack
$194.95 MSRP value
Round 3 Quiz Prize
DTS Avalanche Rescue Package
$329.95 MSRP value
New registrations received by 11:59 PM MTN on Friday, August 31, 2017 will be eligible to win, US and Canada only. Registrations will be entered based on the Facebook email and profile of the participant. BCA Summer School contest winners will be selected by September 30th, 2017. See contest rules here.
The more rounds you take, the more chances to refresh your avalanche safety knowledge, and to win prizes!
Kudos to professor Josh Kling. The idea for Backcountry Safety Summer School came about last spring when one of our BCA teammates attended Kling Mountain Guides avalanche safety course on Red Mountain Pass. Josh Kling’s quizzical teaching style gave us a great base for the material we are presenting in BCA’s Backcountry Safety Summer School. If you ever find yourself looking to get out for a skiing or climbing adventure in Durango, Colorado, pay Josh a visit!
Want to get some studying in before taking these quizzes? Check out our Backcountry Access Education resources:
- Backcountry Safety Handouts – Avalanche Awareness Guide, Avalanche Airbag 101, Beacon Searching 101, Avalanche Probing 101, Avalanche Shoveling 101, Avalanche Awareness and Leading a Companion Rescue (ski and sled versions).
- Backcountry Safety Research Papers – BCA’s library of avalanche research, statistics, human factors and communication, rescue technology and techniques.
- Avalanche Avoidance – The Backcountry Basics (five-part video series)
- Avalanche Rescue – Companion Rescue (six-part video series)
- Success Stories – Living proof – learn something new from every avalanche event, whether it occurred in the backcountry or in-area.
Looking for some #SummerReading to brush up on your skills? What would summer school be without some summer reading? Check out these snow safety summer reading picks:
- Avalanche Essentials – Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, by Bruce Tremper – Start with the Ten Commandments of avalanche safety. Avalanche Essentials is dashboard sized, perfect for some refresher study on the way to the trailhead. Read the WildSnow.com’s review. Order the book here.
- Snowy Torrents 1996-2004, by Knox Williams and Spencer Logan – Is reviewing the details and opinions regarding serious (often fatal) avalanche accidents worth your time? We think so. Read the WildSnow.com’s review. Order the book from the American Avalanche Association.
- Free Skiing – How to Adapt to the Mountain, by Jimmy Oden – This book is seriously a good read for anyone wanting to step up their ski touring, big mountain skiing, and ski mountaineering knowledge.
*All questions must be completed in each round for valid BCA Summer School contest entry. You agree to opt-in and to receive Backcountry Access email by entering the BCA Summer School contest. BCA reserves the right to substitute prizes of similar value based on availability. See the BCA Backcountry Safety Summer School contest rules here.